Nuffield International Triennial
Conference and Field Tours
3rd June - 15th June

Overseas Delegates

Passports and visas

Entry to the UK requires a valid passport and visitors from certain countries may also require a visa. Please note that it can take up to eight weeks to process a visa application and early application is highly recommended.

To obtain a list of the countries whose citizens require an entry visa to the UK, please visit the government website - www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa. Alternatively, visit your local British Embassy or Consulate to obtain more information about travelling to the UK.


There are strict controls on what food products you can bring into the UK. If you are travelling from a country within the EU, you may bring meat, dairy or other animal products. If you are travelling from a country outside the EU, many animal products and some plants and plant products are banned. Please visit the government website -www.gov.uk/bringing-food-animals-plants-into-uk - for a complete list of these products and goods.

Medical insurance

The Conference organisers will not be responsible for any medical expenses, loss or accidents incurred during the Conference. Delegates are strongly advised to arrange their own personal insurance to cover medical and other expenses, including accident or loss. It is recommended that delegates from EU countries bring with them a current European Health Insurance Card.

Currency and exchange rates

The currency in the UK is Pound Sterling. At the time of writing (June 2016), the Pound is weakening against a basket of currencies.

Credit cards

Major credit cards are widely accepted.

Tax refunds

Value Added Tax is charged at 20% on many goods. Cash back is the simplest and most widely used VAT refund service that issues cash refunds on departure for a handling fee. Ask for a ‘cash back form’ when you purchase.

Tipping guide

A small tip is appreciated for good service. Tip taxis 10% and porters £2 per bag. For café and restaurants, 10% is a good guide. Tipping is not usual in bars.

UK time

UK Time is in the Western European Time Zone and is the same as Greenwich Mean Time. From March to October, the UK move sits clocks forward by one hour and operates on Greenwich Mean Time + 1 hour.

UK smoking policy 

Smoking is not permitted in pubs, restaurants, hotel lobbies and all enclosed public buildings under UK law.


The UK has different power sockets to some other countries and an appropriate adaptor will be required. Our sockets are 230 volts, 50 Hz frequency and type G. Check if you need an adaptor plug for power sockets in the UK at: www.power-plugs-sockets.com.